Mitchell Technical College Leadership Academy
Empower Your People. Power Your Company.
Organizations increasingly recognize the need for professionals who possess the skills to function in the global economy and are ready to take on greater leadership and supervisory roles. Optimizing the leadership pipeline and closing the leadership gap depends on your organization’s ability to choose and prepare the best leaders for tomorrow.
The Mitchell Technical College Leadership Academy is a one-of-a-kind process specifically designed for building the character and competence of your developing leaders. Organizations define high-potential leaders who fit the profile for success within their businesses. The program blends professional instruction on Mitchell Technical College’s campus, followed by online distance education, and an intra-company mentored internship to foster leadership development within the participant’s organization. Those engaged in the process will draw upon their field experience and interaction with leaders from diverse organizations. Participants who successfully complete the program will receive a Certificate in Leadership Studies.
As a worldwide leading manufacturer of aggregate processing equipment, we desire leaders that know how to manage and lead effectively. We fully support the Leadership Academy and are clearly feeling the effect in our workforce through the in-depth mentoring and online coursework that our participant ties back into our organization’s methods and operational processes. I can see a winning scenario for our organization and I believe the Leadership Academy goes a long way towards building a dynamic workforce for South Dakota businesses and industries.
Jeff May, President, Kolberg-Pioneer, Inc.
Gain LEADERSHIP knowledge and skills.
Identify Personal Leadership Strengths and Vulnerabilities
• Define purpose, cooperation and trust
• Lead with strengths
• Transition roles and responsibilities effectively
• Utilize leadership assessments to identify and develop gaps in leading self and team
Building Foundational Leadership Capacity
• Establish the principles and core values of leadership
• Explain ethical standards and professional responsibilities
• Foster trust, transparency and teamwork
• Develop and sustain relationships
• Motivate, influence and empower self and others
• Demonstrate agility to change in changing times
• Recognize and manage toxic leadership and employees
• Learn from failure
• Manage stress
Building Foundational Business Competencies
• Connect to vision; commit to goals; drive to execution
• Resolve and manage conflict
• Manage time effectively for personal productivity
• Make decisions and solve problems
• Develop customer and employee loyalty and engagement
• Gain financial intelligence: personal, team, and organizational
• Increase critical thinking skills
• Grasp human resources basics to recruit and retain talent
Application of Leadership Capacity and Business Competencies
• Deal with diversity in the workplace
• Have the difficult conversations
• Mentor and coach for growth and success
• Utilize effective communication techniques
• Give and receive feedback
• Empower high performing teams
• Develop a culture of accountability
While there are numerous other programs that offer leadership training, none offers the leadership development skills that are reinforcing and targeted to our need. In order to transition people into competent leaders, they must have practical experience in effective communications, conflict resolution, decision making, ethics, teamwork, diversity and personal professional development. That is why we engaged with the Leadership Academy and have seen the effect this program has had on our employees through the in-depth mentoring and coursework. We believe the Leadership Academy provides greater opportunity for individuals to grow into the competent leaders needed for a successful future.
Bruce D. Yakley, Trail King Industries, President & CEO
Transform through a proven process.
If a leader is going to stumble on the climb up the leadership ladder, they’re most likely to slip when transitioning into their new role. The Leadership Academy will provide the mind-set, skill-set, and tool-set to help leaders rapidly and smoothly close the leadership gaps through a proven behavior-change process, including four distinct phases:
Business and Industry Commitments
Participant Time Commitment
On site direct instruction, online application and instruction, time to learn and apply with mentor at organization
Mentor Time Commitment
Full day each semester at Mitchell Technical College; application and interaction with mentee at organization
Costs Related to Participating
$6,500 per participant, plus travel, lodging and meals
Return on Investment
Develop a competitive advantage in your organization by building a pipeline of talent.
- Improved understanding of organizational goals, business drivers and processes
- Direct application of leadership and business principles, behaviors, and techniques within the organization
- Networking, relationship building and sharing of best practices among peer organizations
- Extended knowledge and increased confidence to meet the leadership challenges of the organization
- Earn a ‘Certificate in Leadership’, including 30 college credits
A Strong Connection to Industry
An advisory board of experienced professionals from many fields will continue to provide program guidance.
The Leadership Academy is constantly reevaluating to meet the changing demands placed upon leaders and organizations in today’s climate of rapid change.
Want to Learn More?
Mitchell Technical College Leadership Academy