Eight area students have earned the right to compete in the national SkillsUSA competition June 19-23 in Atlanta, Ga.
Representing Mitchell Technical College, the following students earned Gold honors in their respective competitions at the S.D. SkillsUSA competition held in Rapid City in April:
- Dylan Fink, Industrial Motor Control
- Turner Eiland and Cater Hanson, Mechatronics
- Eric Biggerstaff and Jacob Doyle, Urban Search and Rescue
At the high school level, the following Mitchell Career and Technical Education Academy students earned Gold honors:
- Michael Wantoch, Auto Maintenance & Light Repair
- Trell Kaupp, First Aid/CPR
- Bobbi Jo Middendorp, Job Interview
- Lilly Young, Photography
- Billi Jo Middendorp, Restaurant Service
Other MTC and MCTEA students earning awards at the state contest included the following:
- Eli Heisinger (MTC), Electrical Construction Wiring
- Gage Renken (MTC), Industrial Motor Control
- Logan Schrad and Luke Zachmeier (MTC), Mechatronics
- Nate Pollreisz and Wyatt Winter (MTC), Urban Search and Rescue
- Jayden Herren (MCTEA), Auto Maintenance & Light Repair
- Taylor DeJong (MCTEA), Commercial Baking
- Bobbi Jo Middendorp (MCTEA), First Aid/CPR
- Billi Jo Middendorp (MCTEA), Job Interview and Photography
- Kaylee Burns (MCTEA), Restaurant Services
- Dawson Dierks (MCTEA), Welding Sculpture
- Tanner Taylor (MTC), Industrial Motor Control
- Layne Guindon (MTC), Information Technology Services
- John Karn and Jeffrey Liams (MTC), Mechatronics
- Kyla Allen (MCTEA), Commercial Baking
- Kaden Jurrens (MCTEA), Photography
- Analiese Salcido (MCTEA), Restaurant Service
More than 6,500 career and technical education students will compete at the national conference.
SkillsUSA is a partnership of students, teachers and industry working together to ensure America has a skilled workforce. A nonprofit national education association, SkillsUSA serves middle school, high school and college students preparing for careers in trade, technical and skilled service occupations.
Local advisors for the organization include Jason Juhnke at MTC and Daniel Zard at MCTEA.