News & Events

Mitchell Tech Students to Offer Free Income Tax Preparation Service

For the third year in a row, Mitchell Technical College accounting students will polish their tax prep skills while saving low-income filers the time of preparing their own taxes and the expense of hiring a professional accountant again this year.

The federally funded Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program offers free tax help to people who made under $60,000 last year and taxpayers who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns.

“We are thrilled to offer this service to the community again this year,” said Annika Russell-Manke, Director of the accounting program at Mitchell Tech. “It is a great, practical experience for our students that allows us to have a positive impact in the community.”

Established over 50 years ago, VITA is managed by the Internal Revenue Service, with sites operated nationwide by IRS partners and staffed by volunteers who want to make a difference in their communities.

Mitchell Tech’s accounting students have been certified to provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals.

VITA services are not only free – they are also a reliable and trusted source for preparing tax returns. All VITA volunteers who prepare returns must take and pass tax law training that meets or exceeds IRS standards. This training includes maintaining the privacy and confidentiality of all taxpayer information. In addition to requiring volunteers to certify their knowledge of the tax laws, the IRS requires a quality review check for every return prepared at a VITA/TCE site prior to filing. Each filing season, tens of thousands of dedicated VITA/TCE volunteers prepare millions of federal and state returns. They also assist taxpayers with the preparation of thousands of Facilitated Self-Assistance returns.

Appointments are available every Tuesday from 4 p.m. until 8 p.m. through tax season, except March 12. To schedule, call 605-995-7120 or visit[email protected]/bookings/

What to bring:

  • Proof of identification (photo ID) or Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents
  • Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc) from all employers
  • An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be substituted for you, your spouse and your dependents if you do not have a Social Security number
  • Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
  • Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
  • Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if received
  • Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit such as a blank check
  • To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms

Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number


More Cool News & Events

Be the best tagline logo