|Job Type||Full Time|
|Company Name||City of Aberdeen|
|Address||123 S Lincoln St|
This position performs building inspections to enforce applicable building and zoning codes and ordinances.
- Inspects all aspects of new and remodeled commercial and residential construction to ensure compliance with all adopted construction codes and related zoning ordinances.
- Completes inspections and re-inspections; schedules meetings with contractors; records and documents all inspection activities, deficiencies and corrections.
- Responds to complaints from the public regarding the application of codes and ordinances.
- Reviews plans, blueprints, and addenda to ensure compliance with submitted documents and applicable codes and ordinances.
- Contacts owners, contractors, design professionals and homeowners to discuss violations of code and city ordinances and provide direction and assistance to make the appropriate corrective actions to ensure compliance; generates correction letters and/or notices and orders as required.
- Issues building permits.
- Researches and remains aware of developments in the field.
- Assists Code Enforcement Officers in the determination of the safety of deteriorated structures.
- Assist business owners in determining ADA compliance.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of commercial, industrial, and residential construction.
- Knowledge of the techniques, methods and trends related to building inspection and codes administration.
- Knowledge of federal, state and local building codes and safety requirements.
- Knowledge of structural, electrical, gas, mechanical, plumbing, and fire prevention codes for building construction.
- Knowledge of city planning and zoning ordinances.
- Knowledge of construction industry standards.
- Knowledge of Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
- Skill in performing mathematical calculations.
- Skill in reviewing site plans and subdivision plats.
- Skill in the use of a computer.
- Skill in using such inspection, test, and measurement equipment as amp meters, circuit testers, and rulers.
- Skill in maintaining files and records.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
The Planning and Zoning Director and Building Official assigns work in terms of very general instructions. The supervisor spot-checks completed work for compliance with procedures and the nature and propriety of the final results.
Guidelines include adopted building codes, zoning and planning ordinances, and city and department policies and procedures. These guidelines require judgment, selection, and interpretation in application.
COMPLEXITY/SCOPE OF WORK
- The work consists of varied building inspection duties. Strict regulations, combined with the unique nature of each case in question, contribute to the complexity of the work.
- The purpose of this position is to inspect construction activity in the city. Successful performance ensures compliance with all relevant building codes and ordinances.
- Contacts are typically with co-workers, other city employees, general and subcontractors, real estate personnel, business leaders, property owners, developers, surveyors, architects, engineers, and the general public.
- Contacts are typically to give or exchange information, resolve problems, and negotiate, defend, or settle matters.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT
- The work is typically performed while sitting at a desk or table or while intermittently sitting, standing, stooping, walking, bending or crouching. The employee must frequently lift light and occasionally heavy objects, climb ladders, distinguish between shades of color, and utilize the sense of smell
- The work is typically performed in an office and outdoors, occasionally in cold or inclement weather. The employee may be exposed to noise, dust, dirt and grease. Work requires the use of protective devices such as masks, goggles, gloves, etc.
Full benefit package includes - health insurance, retirement, PTO, Holidays, dental and vision insurance options.