How Internships Work
(605) 995-3083 [fax]
You are encouraged and expected to begin the exploration of internship opportunities during the semester prior to your internship experience and to discuss the possibilities with a potential supervisor. An application must be completed before mid-term of the semester prior to the expected internship experience. The goal is to secure an environment that will provide a quality internship experience for all parties involved.
Who is eligible for an internship at Mitchell Technical College?
A full-time, degree-seeking student at Mitchell Tech who:
- has met all academic prerequisites.
- has their own transportation and housing arrangements.
- understands that an internship is a class; tuition and fee charges apply to internship credits.
- has paid for all credits earned or the internship will be canceled. (A student not completing a required internship will result in student not meeting requirements to graduate.)
- meets any additional requirements set by the department for internship application eligibility.
How does it work?
- Duration of anywhere from 6 weeks to 6 months, depending on the program credit requirement. Internship lengths are specifically outlined in the Mitchell Technical College catalog.
- Generally occurs at the conclusion of completing all required classroom courses, near the end of a semester or during the summer. You must successfully complete a minimum of two semesters of a program to be eligible.
- May be part-time or full-time.
- May be paid or non-paid.
- Component of an educational program and is monitored and evaluated for academic credit.
- An intentional “learning agenda” is structured into the experience.
- Includes learning objectives, observation, reflection, evaluation and assessment.
- Establishes a reasonable balance between your learning goals and the specific work performed at an organization.
- Promotes academic, career and personal development.
- Offered for credit so tuition and fees are charged by Mitchell Tech.
Your Role & Responsibility
As a student, you have a crucial part to play in ensuring the success of your internship, and you must be prepared to be proactive and use your initiative to ensure that it runs smoothly.