Serviceman-Gas/Apprentice (Full Time)
Note: May perform the duties of Appliance Repair Technician contingent upon legislation that permits MidAmerican Energy Company to engage in this work.
Under general supervision performs duties in connection with the installation, minor maintenance, minor repairs, and conversion of gas equipment and appliances; responds to gas leak and carbon monoxide (CO) calls; connects and disconnects gas equipment and appliances; installs, repairs, removes and inspects residential and small commercial gas meters, regulators and associated equipment; turns on and off electric and gas services, boots meters Class 200 /240V single phase and below. Includes lighting gas equipment and appliances. Reads utility meters as necessary in the performance of regular duties. May use a computer and associated software in performance of regular duties.
• Performs work in safe manner. Complies with all applicable safety rules, regulations and procedures. Performs all work that they are qualified and trained to do in a manner to protect themselves, fellow employees and the public from injury.
• Reads, removes, transfers, seals and unseals electric meters, single phase up through Class 200/240V. Sets, removes transfers, seal and unseal gas meters. Seals or removes meters for non-payment.
• Checks for gas leaks and CO on customer's premise and on company owned facilities and uses associated equipment to investigate the call. Leaks to be fixed by the employee where applicable or determination made as to whether the leak is of a serious enough nature to require immediate action.
• Performs Flame Ionization survey and locates underground facilities in conjunction with their work. Additionally, performs Flame Ionization survey and underground gas and electric utility locates where no Utility Locator/Leak Surveyors exists.
• Investigates high gas bill complaints. Requires checking the operating efficiency of all appliances and explaining the reason to the customer. Bill corrections will be referred to appropriate personnel.
• Make minor repairs and adjustments to gas equipment and appliances, including ranges, water heaters, dryers, furnaces, boilers, and other gas equipment.
• Inspects assigned work, appraises work and procedures to be employed and observes gas equipment and appliances for abnormal conditions. Takes proper measures to remedy same and reports to proper authority as required.
• Changes and/or installs gas meters and regulators, and adjusts meters and regulators for proper pressures except as performed by the Meter and Control Technician. May include relocation of meters and regulators. Changes charts, checks regulators, takes readings, opens and closes service riser and meter set valves.
• Tests odorant in gas using odorometer or universal tester; may read, set and remove recording devices and may make adjustments to odorant controls except as performed by Meter & Control Technician or Utility Regulator Technician in the area.
• May make minor repairs such as re-setting single phase residential circuit breakers and/or replacing fuses in conjunction with service calls.
• Performs cathodic protection reads. Checks for and repairs above ground shorts.
• Installs and repairs electric and gas remote read devices.
• Runs fuel line to gas equipment and appliances; repairs, replaces and removes fuel lines; threads and cuts pipe, installs fittings and performs other work as necessary in performance of regular duties.
• Maintains work area in a neat, orderly and safe condition.
• Leads, trains and instructs employees in their work.
• Must have at least three years of experience with installation, maintenance, repairs and conversion of gas equipment and appliances.
• Experience locating underground facilities preferred.
• Valid driver's license with a good driving record required.
• Must successfully complete the written and hands on testing process prior to being considered for interviews. (Not all candidates will be selected for testing.)
• Pre-employment background check, physical and drug screen is required.
• High school diploma or equivalency.
• Employees must be able to perform the essential functions of the position, with or without an accommodation.
• All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Employees must be able to perform the essential functions of the position, with or without an accommodation.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Propane & Natural Gas TechnologiesAdditional Information:
To apply for this position please go to www.midamericanenergy.com, click on available positions, click on Access the job search and application tool, selection the position you are interested in applying for and select apply.Openings:
6/30/2014Employee Start Date:
Company InformationCompany Name:
MidAmerican Energy CompanyAddress:
401 Douglas Street Sioux City, IA 51101Website: www.midamericanenergy.com
Contact InformationContact Person:
Jan Amick, Phone: Email: [email protected]
How to ApplyApply on Company Website
Return to Job Listings