Lineman Apprentice 2/6 (Full Time)
Under general supervision, works alone or with a crew to install and maintain electric distribution and transmission systems. Includes all overhead, underground facilities and other utilities, which includes installing, but not connecting gas pipe. Performs the duties of Utility Operator.
• Performs all work in a safe manner. Complies with all applicable safety rules, regulations and procedures. Performs all work that they are qualified and trained to do in a manner to protect themselves, their fellow employees and the public from injury.
• Installs, changes, transfers, moves and removes poles, poles line hardware, guys, transformers, lightning arresters, streetlight equipment, electrical cable, gas pipe, cross-arms, energized conductors, insulators, conduit, capacitor bank controls and any and all forms of electrical material and accessories utilized in the construction, maintenance, and operation of electric circuits.
• Installs, uses and removes protective equipment and devices on energized electric circuits of all voltages. Works with hot line tools on circuits. Performs work on energized circuits of all voltages.
• Performs steel tower structural work including the erection and removal and repair of steel towers and electrical equipment used in connection therewith.
• Works with electrical instruments such as voltmeters, ammeters, fault locators, etc. Installs and removes single-phase socket type meters through Class 200/240V on single family and duplex dwellings in conjunction with the installation and removal of services. Reads meters.
• Operates switches and cutouts in transmission and distribution circuits.
• Patrols transmission and distribution circuits as assigned. Inspects poles and towers, making climbing inspections of conductors and equipment.
• Drives truck and is responsible for truck, tools, and equipment carried thereon.
• Must be familiar with and capable of operating all types of equipment associated with the work being performed.
• Locates underground gas and electric facilities in conjunction with their work. Additionally, performs locates where no Locator/Leak Surveyors exist.
• Contacts property owners on tree trimming matters. Performs minor tree trimming, cutting brush, removing line detriments to the extent necessary in performance of regular duties.
• Responsible for completing written reports on fieldwork and proper accounting for materials and time associated with each job.
• Performs public contacts when necessary.
• Leads, trains and instructs employees in their work.
• Valid driver's license with a good driving record required.
• The successful candidate must have a valid class A CDL driver's permit (evidenced by passing the applicable State written and driving test).
• Power line trade school (or related training program) graduate or diploma strongly preferred, or equivalent training and/or experience in a electrical/technical field.
• Must be able/willing to respond to emergency call-outs in a reasonable time period.
• Pre-employment background check, physical and drug screen is required.
• High school diploma or equivalency required
Electrical Construction & Maintenance, Power Line Construction & MaintenanceAdditional Information:
To apply for this position please go to www.midamericanenergy.com, click on available positions, click on Access the job search and application tool, selection the position you are interested in applying for and select apply.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
4/18/2014Employee Start Date:
Company InformationCompany Name:
MidAmerican Energy CompanyAddress:
401 Douglas Street Sioux City, IA 51101Website: www.midamericanenergy.com
Contact InformationContact Person:
Jan Amick, Phone: Email: [email protected]
How to ApplyApply on Company Website
Return to Job Listings